Hoyle Copse

October 2014 Minutes

                                   A meeting of Stoke Gabriel Parish Council was held on

                                               Monday 27th October 2014 in the Village Hall

14 Members of the public were present

Present: Mr R Tully (Chairman), Mrs C Hunt, Miss E Bridge, Mr I Jones, and Mr J Robinson.

  1. Apologies –  Mr P. Fenwick, Mrs R. Garner and Mr H Rawlings

In Attendance - District Cllr Rose Rowe

2    Police Report – Cllr Robinson advised that a bag of loose change was left in the hall after the card session before the September meeting. Unfortunately this bag was not where it had been left when the owner came to retrieve it the following morning. If anyone has any information concerning this would they please contact a member of the Council.

3          To confirm the minutes of the last meeting on 29th September 2014

            Taken as read and signed by the Chairman,

4 Matters arising from the Minutes –  None

5 Chairman’s Report   Cllr Tully had nothing to report.

6 Reports from County & District Councillors Cllr Rowe advised that South Hams DC had appointed Mrs Sophie Hosking as the new Executive Director and she would take up her post in the New Year. She will coming from Cornwall and is a farmers’ wife. As there have been problems recruiting for senior posts there will be a new recruitment drive starting in November for an Executive for Paid Services and a Strategy and Commissioning Director. The present holders Alan Robinson and Tracey Winsor will stay with the Council until at least next summer. Cllr Rowe reminded everyone of the bank details scam and advised that personal bank details should never be disclosed. There will be a super cluster meeting on Wednesday 26th November at Follaton House when discussions will take place concerning the Devon County Council budget. Regarding County Council business there had not been any meeting during October at County Hall. Having attended many local Parish Council meetings Cllr Rowe advised that the main topics were the roads, potholes and school transport. Another round of cuts is promised in next year’s budgets and the Councils are continually being asked to do more with less finance.   

7          Reports from Sub-Committees In Cllr Fenwick’s absence Cllr Robinson reported that the Neighbourhood Plan consultation was completed on 17th October. We were not on the agenda for the 23rd October executive meeting and Cllr Fenwick will check status with Graeme Swiss. We are anticipating an initial meeting to introduce it to the Village in November or early December. Regarding Cavanna a Steering Group Meeting will be held prior to the November Parish Council Meeting when Cavanna will present details of pre-application discussions. There is a pre planning application for Yannon’s Farm, BrixhamRoad. This land is identified in Torbay's SHLAA, land to the West & South of Sainsbury’s. Cllr Fenwick advised that he would monitor the application and the Brixham Road Development continues.

8   Planning  

The following planning applications were discussed and considered. 

1. 10 dwellings on site at Coombe Shute. Cllr Robinson advised that there had been a great number of responses from residents and consultees. Devon Highways intended to place a number of conditions as was Devon and Somerset Fire Brigade. The Environment Agency had advised that the Flood Risk Assessment had identified the flood risks to the site and recommended a larger buffer zone to the Southern boundary. The Agency recommended that their objections could be overcome by submitting further information which would cover the deficiencies highlighted in their report. In the report submitted by English Heritage they recommended refusal as they did not consider the application complied with policies 131 and 137 of HPPF or meets the statutory test of preserving or enhancing the conservation area. Cllr Robinson advised that the applicants were meeting with the District planning officer the day after this meeting when discussions would take place as to how this application might proceed. As the deadline for consultations had passed Cllr Robinson proposed that the Council should make a recommendation on the application as it was but if any material advice came from Tuesday’s meeting this could be taken into account. This was seconded by Cllr Tully and it was agreed unanimously that an objection to the application should be lodged with the planning officer. 

2. To discuss proposal for wind turbine at site at Lower Longcombe. Cllr Robinson advised that this application fell within the Parish of Berry Pomeroy but as this Parish boarded that Parish we were entitled as consultees to lodge a recommendation. Over 80 responses had been received with just two in favour. The main reasons for objection were that it would mar one of the most beautiful landscapes in the country, the local community would not benefit, and the significant harm the proposed turbine would cause to the character and appearance of the area outweighs the relatively small benefit of the proposed of the turbine. Cllr Robinson advised that there was confusion over how the access would b made as Fleet Mill Lane is less 

than nine feet wide and last year a combine harvester became completely stuck when attempting to approach a nearby field. Discussion on this application took place and finally Cllr Robinson proposed that the application should be refused having regard to the objections received and points raised therein and also on the grounds of access as suggested by Devon Highways. This was seconded by Cllr Tully and agreed unanimously. It was agreed that Cllrs Tully and Robinson would attend the Berry Pomeroy Council meeting on 6th November and Cllr Robinson would send this Councils observations to members of their Parish Council. 

3. To discuss revised plan for 4 Waddeton Cottages as agreed with SHDC. Cllr Robinson advised that this was a minor alteration to previously refused plans which now would be supported by the planning officer. It was unanimously agreed to approval this application. 

4. To discuss resubmission of planning approval Land adjoining Rowes Farm, Aish Road. Cllr Robinson advised that this application had been received and the consultation date was 12th November but requested agreement from the Council to make a recommendation. The revised application requested an extension to the lower ground floor of the proposed new dwelling and it was agreed by all to recommend approval.  

Planning Applications Granted by SHDC – 

  1. Croft Cottage, Duncannon Mead – New rooms in roof and dormer window
  2. 6 Darton Grove – Variation of conditions

Planning Applications refused by SHDC –  None 

Applications Withdrawn –  None. 

Appeals Received by SHDC – None . 

Ongoing Applications –  Cllr Robinson advised that after carrying out a site inspection with the agents at 2 Church Walk for a loft conversion and rear extension it was agreed that this Council had no objections. Confirmation had been received from SHDC reference our objection to development at Great Court Farm and a letter had been written to the agents regarding proposals for Gabriel Court Hotel.  

9 Items raised on behalf of the Clerk – Cllr Robinson advised that a letter had been sent advising that there was no objection to 2015 Wassail event using the orchard.  Confirmation had been received from South Hams DC confirming that the paperwork concerning the transfer of the Parish toilets to this Council had been passed to the District Council legal adviser. A letter had been received from the District Council advising that in future cardboard will now only be collected in the blue recycling bag or folded alongside if it is too bulky.

10 Hoyle Copse Cllr. Jones advised that the Copse gang would resume work soon. The hedging plants from the Woodland Trust will arrive next week and the Devon Wildlife Trust would soon be presenting their Management Plan.  

11 Highway and Hedgerow Matters – Cllr Robinson advised that the annual footpath inspection was now due to be completed and asked for Cllrs to advise which paths they would cover. 

12 Matters raised by Councillors –  Cllr Bridge requested that Cllrs considered some sort of permanent memorial to Cllr Pauline Ellis. It was agreed that a tree and plaque would be placed in the Parish orchard but something else on a larger scale should also be considered. Cllr Tully advised that a Parishioner had requested agreement to place a plaque on an existing bench in memory of a family member. It was agreed that this Parishioner should consider purchasing a bench on which a plaque could be placed in a suitable position. If agreed the Council would make arrangements and submit an invoice for the costs.   

13 Accounts

Cllr Robinson advised that the precept for 2015/2016 should be agreed at next month’s meeting and Cllrs should bear in mind that there would be an election next year with expenses of approximately £ 2,000.00

It was proposed by Cllr Hunt and seconded by Cllr Jones to make the following payments:

J. Robinson Expenses October                        £    62.47

Plandscape – Maintenance September             £  195.23

Stoke Gabriel Village Hall – Hall hire X 2          £    30.00

The Poppy Appeal – Poppy Wreath                  £   17.00

There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.20pm 

Date of next Meeting-  The next meeting will be held on Monday 24th November 2014