Hoyle Copse

September 2014 Minutes

A meeting of Stoke Gabriel Parish Council was held on

Monday 29th September 2014 in the Village Hall

19 Members of the public were present

The Chairman, Cllr Tully advised that Cllr Pauline Ellis had sadly died in Torbay Hospital. Pauline had served on this Council for over 24 years and knew every inch of the Parish including its boundaries, field and quarry names and many more facts and figures concerning Stoke Gabriel. A one minutes silence was held in Pauline’s memory.

 

Harlequin Group proposed Site Location for a telecoms mast at South Downs. From a request by Cllr Robinson Mr W. Osborne from the Harlequin Group gave a presentation regarding the Mobile Infrastructure Project (MIP) sites to come forward in our area. He explained that this is a £150m UK government funded project to correct a market failure in the provision of mobile phone coverage.  The project forms part of the wider Broadband Delivery UK project for the Department for Culture Media and Sport aiming to reduce the digital divide.  To qualify for this state aid, under EU law, the target areas have to have no mobile coverage whatsoever, so even an emergency call could not be placed from a mobile phone.  These areas without coverage, for the purpose of MIP, are known as ‘Not Spots’ which are 200m x 200m tiles.  The site suggested is Land at South Downs and this site would cover a number of  ‘Not Spots’, thereby greatly improving the local community’s connectivity.  A number of questions were asked many querying why a mast was necessary. There were many in favour of better mobile communications with some against the proposal. It was suggested that a better site would be on the Blackness Marine shed located at SX 84735544. This site would cover the whole of Stoke Gabriel and be out of site from much of the village. Harlequin was requested to consider this option. The Chairman thanked the Harlequin representatives and all those who had contributed to the discussion.

 

The Chairman then opened the formal part of the meeting.

 

Present: Mr R Tully (Chairman), Miss E Bridge, Mr P. Fenwick, Mr I Jones, Mr H Rawlings and Mr J Robinson.

1      Apologies –  Mrs C Hunt Mrs R. Garner

            In Attendance - District Cllr Rose Rowe

 

2               Planning  

A presentation was given by Blue Cedar Homes regarding their Planning Application for ten dwellings on land formally known as the V&A car park. They advised that a planning application had been submitted and two consultation days had been arranged. The plans submitted were the same as those seen at the last consultation and questions were requested. A number of those present queried why ten dwellings had been proposed and it was explained that it was a DPD site which called for about ten dwellings. After discussion it was agreed to wait until the consultation period had ended before making a recommendation as there were many consultees who had not yet responded and public representations could also be made. Cllr Robinson requested that copies of all representations should be sent to him so the Parish Council could gauge responses. Cllr Fenwick advised that the formal notice of planning application had not been placed on the site. Cllr Robinson advised that the formal consultation period could not begin until this was in place. It was agreed that the Council would consider the responses and make their decision before the deadline. Cllr Jones expressed his concern that the access road to the Scout Hut should have unrestricted access to the present facility and any development thereon in the future.

 

The following planning applications had been considered at a meeting held on 29th September which the following councillors were present: Fenwick Tully, Robinson, and Bridge.

  1. 4 Waddeton Cottages – Utility room extension  Objection Detrimental harm to a Heritage site
  2. 2 Church Walk – Single storey extension to rear and loft conversion  Site meeting to arrange

Planning Applications Granted by SHDC

  1. 2 Hillfield – two storey extension
  2. Auckland, Vicarage Road – Rear and side extensions
  3. Driftwood, Mill Hill – Pole to provide telephone service
  4. S.G.B.A. Mill – Replacement of boathouse

Planning Applications refused by SHDC –  None

Applications Withdrawn –  None.

Appeals Received by SHDC – None .

Ongoing Applications –  Cllr Robinson advised that both he and Cllr Tully had attended a meeting of Berry Pomeroy Parish Council concerning the planning application for Great Court Farm. This Council had written a letter of objection to the District Council which was read out at that meeting.  A letter had been received from Decimus who were the agents for the owners of the former Gabriel Court Hotel. They advised this Council that work would soon begin to demolish the modern additions and begin construction of the nine new houses which already had planning permission. They also wished to submit a detailed planning application to convert the hotel into a single residence which would comprise of five to six bedrooms, a good sized living accommodation and gardens. Decimus requested that this Council considers supporting this application and after discussion it was agreed that a letter of support should be written.

3    Police Report – Cllr Robinson advised that criminal damage to a small holding in Aish, Stoke Gabriel  occurred between 1640hrs on Monday 1st September and 1500hrs on Friday 5th September 2014. Damage was caused to an electric fence, a supporting pole to a toilet tent was snapped off, glass was placed in a pigs trough and doors closed to a chicken coop preventing the chickens from laying. Cllr Robinson suggested that there were some very sick people around who would carry out this attack on animals.

4    To confirm the minutes of the last meeting on 21st July 2014

            Taken as read and signed by the Chairman,

5          Matters arising from the Minutes –  None

6          Chairman’s Report  Cllr Tully had nothing to report.

7          Reports from County & District Councillors District Cllr Rowe advised that many changes were taking place at South Hams DC with the T18 system coming into place early next year. Offices were being moved around and made open plan and many staff were now working from home. Contact with officers was becoming difficult because of this and replied to queries were delayed. The District Council continued to work on “Our Plan” shaping the community up to 2031. The AONB South Devon Partnership held a committee meeting recently and was seeking a new chairman and vice chair. Cllr Rowe is presently the vice chair but has decided to stand down as she is finding decision making on plans within her own area difficult. Cllr Rowe advised that she had attended many meetings at County level and the care homes funding is being cut and will be phased out by 2020.  County is being challenged on its decision to stop providing residential care and an injunction to stop further action on closing a further 20 homes is in place. Work has started on the Redworth Junction in Totnes and will last for about 10 weeks. The South Devon link road is on track to be completed this time next year.

8         Reports from Sub-Committees Cllr Fenwick reported that the Neighbourhood Plan area, which is the total Parish of Stoke Gabriel, is subject to consultation - the deadline for comments is Friday 17th October.  Notices are around the village, on the South Hams web-site, and have been advertised. It should go to the next executive meeting later in October. It is not anticipated that there will be any problem. We will start asking for volunteers to participate in the process at that time.  Regarding Cavanna, Paignton Road, the third community event was held on 18th September followed by a Steering Group meeting to review inputs and responses on 24th September. Additional points raised by near neighbours in particular are being considered and discussions are underway between Cavanna & SHDC regarding aspects of the design. The loose agenda is as follows: Steering Group Meeting prior to the November Parish Council Meeting where Cavanna will present details of pre-app discussions, formal application to SHDC around May 2015.Work will commence late 2015. Progressive build will take place as properties are sold and the likely completion will be towards the end of 2016. The main concern is the acceptability of bungalows by SHDC since clearly the footprint is comparatively large. This Council needs to complete its housing needs survey with some urgency to provide evidence as to the numbers & type of Social Housing, needed for local people. The landscape plan for Rowes Meadow has now been discharged with no change from the original despite lengthy conversations with Linden & South Hams. Also Devon County Highways have reneged on their decision to have a differentiator on the road surface where the pedestrian crossings from the estate occur. Local residents from both on and off the development have concerns about this. Cllr Fenwick believed that as a Parish Council we have the power to erect signs warning of danger and suggested that we investigate this as a priority with a view to erecting our own signs. Cllr Fenwick advised that he attended a workshop on Friday 19th September on the state of play of the new district plan.  The status of the response to the call for sites

 

496

was reviewed – the closing date for comments is October 3rd. – still only 3 sites, 2 deemed unsuitable, V&A car park only remaining. We were asked to identify more sites if possible particularly within the compilation of our Neighbourhood Plans. South Hams have a problem having lost their Kingsbridge appeal in that they are not seen to have a satisfactory housing supply or affordable housing supply which leaves us all very vulnerable to developers. In answers to specific questions it was stated that a NP has statutory status and as part of a local plan in terms of development or potential development, along with recent rulings to support. Cllr Rawlings advised that the new updated web site was now ready to go live and that he and Cllr Robinson would meet to go through the various points in readiness to report to the Council at the October meeting. Cllr Tully thanked Cllr Rawlings for his hard work.

 

9          Items raised on behalf of the Clerk – Cllr Robinson had nothing to report.

10        Hoyle Copse Cllr. Jones advised that the meadow had been cut and the grass removed. The Copse gang would resume work in October.

11        Highway and Hedgerow Matters – None

12        Matters raised by Councillors –  Cllr Robinson advised that both he and Cllr Tully had met with SHDC concerning the public toilets and the fact that to save money the District would close the toilets from 3rd November 2014 until 2nd March 2015. Cllr Robinson advised that the two best option for the village were either to accept £ 2653.00 per year from the District as a contribution towards the cleaning costs to an agreed standard or accept a full asset transfer to own the freehold of the facility and become totally responsible for the up keep and full maintenance of the toilets. To assist with the additional cost the District Council would pay £ 7587.00 to the Parish Council each year for five years. After much discussion it was unanimously agreed that this Council should apply for full asset transfer.    

13        Accounts

 

It was proposed by Cllr Bridge and seconded by Cllr Rawlings to make the following payments

 

J. Robinson Expenses July                                                                             £    87.51

Plandscape – Maintenance July                                                                     £  195.23

R.I. Jones – Purchase replacement bench                                                       £    99.00

Plandscape – Summer bedding plants                                                             £   161.66

South Hams District Council – Play area works                                            £ 1182.31

Campaign to Protect Rural England – Annual subscription                           £     50.00

                                               

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.20pm

 

 

Date of next Meeting-  

 

The next meeting will be held on Monday 27th October 2014