Hoyle Copse

January Minutes

A meeting of Stoke Gabriel Parish Council was held on Monday 11th January 2016 in the Old School Room

13 Members of the public were present

Present: Mr R Tully (Chairman), Mr P. Fenwick, Mr S. Avery Miss E Bridge, Mr R. Harris, Mr R. Hunt, , Mr H. Rawlings and Mr J Robinson.

In Attendance: District Cllr Rowe and District Cllr Hawkins

  1. Apologies – Mr I Jones and District Cllr Bastone

2 Police Report – Cllr Robinson advised that no report had been received.

3 To confirm the minutes of the last meeting on 30th November 2015

Taken as read and signed by the Chairman

4 Matters arising from the Minutes – None

5 Planning - The following planning applications were considered.

 52/2477/15/F Blue Cedar Homes – 10 dwellings at the site of the old V & A car park.

Members of the public had been invited to speak by the Chairman during the ten minute session. Cllr Robinson then reminded those present that the first public consultation event took place on 7th August 2015 followed by a public presentation on 30th November to the full Council, a Council lead site meeting and although the final date for responses had long passed further discussion at this meeting. Cllrs were asked to give any thoughts that they may have prior to taking a vote. The two main issues were loss of views and the type of housing provided. A vote was taken and the application was supported by five Councillors with Cllrs Fenwick, Harris and Rawlings against. The following additions to the plans were agreed:

1) Removal of the pergola roof to the bin store.

2)     Reduction in the height and bulk of the Car Barn roof.

3)     Increased fence length and hedge height adjacent to the existing stream in response to Nature England’s comments and as agreed with the SHDC ecologist;

4)     Minor alterations to some fences and gates in response to comments from the Police Architectural Liaison Officer. 

5)     The S106 agreement to be updated to include a Community Facilities Contribution of £10,000 towardsthe community building at the Mill Pond known as the “Scout Hall”. If this will be paid to the Parish Council who will hold the amount until required.

6)     Once the new access road and development has been completed there will be unrestricted access over this access road for users of the adjacent community building;

7)     As detailed in the drainage strategy a drainage ditch will be provided along land adjacent to Community land to prevent flooding;

8)    A new hard standing will to be provided adjacent to the community building where Blue Cedar Homes will park their vehicles and use for storage during construction work, and thereafter can be used as an additional parking area for the community building. 

9)  There will be no external lighting in the scheme.

10) There will no parking allocation of the ‘community spaces although the other spaces will be allocated. 

11) The windows on the apartment block that overlook the Community land and building will have obscure glazed glass in all windows.

535

12) The strip of land between the planned development and the Scout field which is being retained by the current owner should appear on the plans .It does not currently. It should be subject to the same covenants of access as the development site itself. Ideally it should be sold to the Parish Council for the sum of £1 to ensure access to the Community building in perpetuity.'

13 The notice shown on the web site concerning the submission that states that consultation on the development was fully made with the Parish Council be removed as it is totally incorrect.

14) As the development commences regular meetings with the developers and the site manager should be arranged to enable the Parish Council to bring forward any issues raised by themselves or local Parishioners which may concern lapses in construction management plan.

The Planning application was therefore supported with fourteen conditions to be included all of which were agreed by the Developer.

52/2714/15/HHO 10 Yonder Meadow – side extension, raised deck and internal alterations.

No objection

52/2884/15/FUL Land at Dunstone, Broadley Lane – Provision of agricultural building

No objection

Planning Applications Granted by SHDC

  1. 52/2342/15/F Vine Cottage, Coombe Shute – Renovation and extension.
  2. 52/2431/15/F Dartside Quay, Galmpton – Construction of slipway
  3. 52/2526/15/F 6 Darton Grove – Erect conservatory to rear of property
  1. 52/2260/15/F Hunters Moon, Mill Hill – Extension over garage with ancillary accommodation
  2. 52/1503/15/F Land at Paignton Road – erection of 53 dwellings with community building

Planning Applications refused by SHDC

  1. 52/2519/15/F Bothy Bakehouse, Aish – Demolition of existing barn and erection of dwelling

Cllr Robinson advised that he was concerned with this decision as the decision was published on the same day as the last date for responses as SHDC had not received any despite the Parish Council response being received and posted on the web site on 4th December 2015. No consultation had taken place with either the applicant, the Parish Council or the Ward Member, Cllr Rowe. Cllr Robinson requested the reasons how this happened from the District Council.

Applications Withdrawn – None .

Appeals Received by SHDC – None

Ongoing Applications –Riverways, Mill Hill, Stoke Gabriel. It was agreed by all to file a quality complaint to the Inspectorate regarding the process which resulted in the approval.

6 Chairman’s Report Cllr Tully advised that he had nothing to report.

7 Reports from County & District CouncillorsCllr Rowe advised that there was not much to report since her last report at the end of November. The County Council Library service is changing from the first of April and will become a standalone independent service which will mean it will become self supporting .This was approved earlier in the year and has now been set up. The County Council budget is being worked on this month before recommendations will be made by the cabinet to Full Council at their meeting on the 18th February. The very wet weather has had an impact on the roads and road users. Drivers have been driving far too fast and causing unnecessary accidents and in at least in one case in South Devon the loss of a life. Cllr Rowe asked everyone to remember that road defects , pot holes etc should be reported on the Devon County Council web site which is quick and easy to do. The new South Devon Highway opened on the 15th December and we will await the impact it will make on easing the traffic in that area in the coming months. At present it is really good on the short time it takes to get from Newton Abbot to Torbay. It also appears to have helped to sort the traffic problem around Totnes. Farmers’ leaders are pressing for more to be done to improve internet and mobile communications in rural areas which still needed to raise the standard of the service. Finally Cllr Rowe asked those in rural communities to be particularly vigilant keeping all gates and farm yards secure. Also farm vehicles, tractors, horse boxes and tools well secured as there has been a large number of thefts of all kinds in this area in the last month with many valuable items being stolen. These are easy to move on once removed from farms. Cllr Robinson asked Cllr Rowe about the

536

report on television over the weekend about the bid to Central Government for Devolution being out of time. Cllr Rowe advised that she thought it would be re-submitted.

8Reports from Sub-Committees Cllr Fenwick reported regarding the District “Our Plan South Hams” that the Parish Councils and Neighbourhood Plan Groups received a newsletter last week. The key points were along with West Devon, Plymouth City Council and Dartmoor National Park Authority, South Hams is exploring the possibility of working together on a Joint Local Plan to work with its neighbours on the strategic distribution of new homes and jobs. Details are yet to be agreed and South Hams needs to do further work with its neighbours to best understand the context in which any joint plan will be prepared including the objectives and priorities, governance and working arrangements, timescales, evidence, infrastructure requirements and policies and allocations. In February the duty to cooperate principles would be agreed and signed up by authorities in March. Further consultation will take place in July and during winter and autumn 2016 they will be submitted for examination. There will soon be a new call for sites and SHDC are still looking to identify further land to ensure they have enough land to meet identified development needs of their communities. So, if there are other sites which have not been previously identified to the Council, or further extensions to existing ones, which are now available for development, they would like to know more! They are particularly interested in sites within or close to settlements or sites that are well related to public transport routes, footpaths, cycleway and local facilities. Cllr Fenwick stressed that it was important that development takes place in the right places with minimal impact on our environment and 22nd February was the deadline for submission. It was very important that the Neighbourhood Plan activity is in line with this. Cllr Fenwick then advised that the Gabriel Court Hotel had been sold subject to contract.

9 Neighbourhood Plan Report Cllr Fenwick advised that the Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group met on the 16th December. Much discussion took place on communication and raising levels of interest. They should get feedback on the suggested School Logo promotion at the next meeting. Also put some detail into the proposed event. Questions will also be asked on how SHDC will calculate population projections and resultant allocations. It is vital that everyone understands this to ensure the Neighbourhood Plan and the Local Plan provide a fair system. The next meeting will be on 20th January 2016 in the Village Hall.

10 Items raised on behalf of the Clerk – Cllr Robinson advised that a letter had been received from Citizens Advice South Hams and it was agreed to make a donation to them of £ 150.00. Cllr Robinson asked Cllr Fenwick to give a brief update on the Torbay Plan especially Collaton St Mary Master plan. Cllr Fenwick advised that we should support the response of the Paignton Neighbourhood Forum but stress that the access to Stoke Road is the gateway to Stoke Gabriel and that it is important that any plans take into account the inevitable increase in housing in Stoke Gabriel. Also the increased traffic from South Devon College which will seek to avoid congestion around Tweenaway. Any junction with Stoke Road must be controlled by traffic lights. This is a very dangerous junction used by caravans and holidaymakers and 'Traffic Calming' is not a solution. The impact of any plan, and indeed any planning application must consider the impact downstream on Yalberton Creek. We have seen properties at Port Bridge within our Parish very close to flooding. 

11 Hoyle Copse - In Cllr Jones absence Cllr Robinson reported that little work had been carried out at Hoyle Copse except for clearing of scrub in the quarry and cutting back trees threatening the lime kiln.

The Gang have spent two Wednesday sessions working in the Village Orchard to prop up fallen trees and re-stake others. Low branches have been pruned back to assist grass cutting and make things safer for the Wassail. Ivy has been removed from the church wall and round the fence to the play area. Also the large hazel and ivy have been cut back to reveal the listed phone box and some of the thorn hedge down Combe Shute has been reduced in height. Further work is planned for the near future. Work will recommence in the Copse on Wednesday 13th and I am pleased to report that two more members have joined the gang.

12 Highway and Hedgerow Matters – Cllr Hunt advised that damage had occurred to the road at the Aih end of Coombe House Lane. Cllr Rawlings advised that large potholes had appeared at the top of Flood

537

Street and Cllr Bridge advised that the Totnes road had flooded badly during the wet spell. It was agreed to ask Russell Collings to trim the hedge on the narrows entering the village. The gritting machine would be delivered back to Cllr Bridge in view of the local weather reports. Cllr Robinson advised that work had commenced in Byter Mill Lane and the road could be closed for up to six months. He read out the minutes from a Parish Council meeting held on 28th April 2003 when the road was discussed and it was agreed to press Devon Highways who had advised that they not have funds of £ 100,000.00 to carry out the work. It was agreed that this work was essential to the continuing use of the land and residents were requested to be patient while the work was carried out. Concern was raised over the attitudes of Devon Highways regarding the four serious traffic accidents on Paignton Road towards Ramslade Caravan Park. When requested to look at the state of the road they advised that both they and the police were unaware of any accidents on that stretch of road. Cllr Bridge advised that she had spoken to the Highways should be made aware of this. Cllr Fenwick advised that he had arranged for his walking group to walk the footpaths with the route starting and finishing at the Church House Inn. This will be run as a community walk and all residents and families are encouraged to participate. It can be shortened for those with little legs!! The date will be advised and it is hoped that this will become an annual event. It was agreed that the Council would arrange for a snack lunch to be available at the Church House Inn. From the floor Mr Philip Bolt advised the Council that the ornamental brackets had been made and were being sent for galvanising on Tuesday 12th January. He hoped that they would be in place in early February 2016. Thanks were expressed to Mr Bolt for the work he had put into this project.

13 Matters raised by Councillors – Cllr Harris advised that he would like a decision made concerning the request by Devon Air Ambulance to allow them to use a suitable landing strip within the village in case of an emergency. It was agreed to ask a few selected Parishioners if they would be able to assist. Cllr Robinson agreed to oversee this project.

14 Accounts – After discussion it was agreed to keep the 2016/2017 Precept the same as previous years at £ 17,000.00. The Council Tax Support Grant allocation of £ 700.00 was available so the amount due from Council tax would be £ 16300.00.

It was proposed by Cllr Fenwick and seconded by Cllr Rawlings to make the following payment.:

VAT Reclaim

Blacksnow Web Design – Domain name for 9 years £ 37.26 £ 6.21

J. Robinson December expenses £ 9.47

JD Electrics – Christmas tree light sockets £ 216.00 £ 36.00

J. Robinson annual allowance for use of house and

Motor vehicle (as agreed) £ 200.00

Russell Collings – Cut burial site field £ 100.00

Stoke Gabriel Village Hall – Hall Hire N.Plan £ 45.00 PC £ 30.00 £ 75.00

Citizens Advice South Hams – Donation £ 150.00

Stoke Gabriel PCC - Hire of Old School Room £ 15.00

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.35pm

Date of next Meeting-

Full Council meeting 29th February 2016