Hoyle Copse

November 2016 minutes

563

A meeting of Stoke Gabriel Parish Council was held on  Monday 28th November 2016 in the Village Hall 

5 Members of the public were present

Present: Mr P. Fenwick ( Vice Chairman),Mr S. Avery, Miss E Bridge, Mr R. Hunt, Mr I Jones Mr H. Rawlings and Mr J Robinson.

In Attendance:  District Cllr Rowe 

1. Apologies  Mr R Tully (Chairman), Mr R. Harris, District Cllr Hawkins and District Cllr Bastone 

2. Police Report – Cllr Robinson advised that on Monday 21st November 2016 between the hours of 11:50 and 12:30 a black Ford Galaxy was seen to enter Bloor Homes building site on Ashburton Road, Totnes and then a short time later enter the Pavilion construction site in Moor View, Marldon. Two men were seen to exit the vehicle and enter members of staff vehicles removing power tools. If anyone has any information regarding these two incidents, please contact the Police on 101. Devon and Cornwall Police advise that they are changing messaging systems from Ringmaster to Devon and Cornwall Alert over the next few weeks.

3. To confirm the minutes of the last meeting on 24th October 2016

Taken as read and signed by the Chairman

4. Matters arising from the Minutes – None

5. Chairman’s Report – 

6. Reports from County & District Councillors District Cllr Rowe advised that recent meetings at S.H.D.C. have included discussions on the Joint Local Plan on which work is continuing at present. Local towns and Parishes are working on their Neighbour Hood Plans which when completed can feed into any future development. There have been discussions around whether the D.C. should progress with the formation of the L.A.C.C. B.T. phone boxes have been identified in certain areas as no longer being used very much with only a handful of calls per year being made. B.T. will be removing them unless the local council wishes to take them over for £1.00. Cllr Rowe hoped that all of us that are eligible to have Flu Jabs have done so and particularly if you are susceptible to chest infections, bronchitis etc. This led her to the round of meetings which have been taking place regarding the closure of local Hospitals. Fortunately Totnes is not on the list and it is likely to be used as a Central Hub for more parts of The South Hams. The Hospitals under threat are Ashburton, Dartmouth and Paignton which are used by Parishes and Towns within this area. Cllr Rowe personally felt that whilst to do nothing is not an option alternative facilities for basic treatments and nursing needs must be in place before these Hospitals are allowed to be closed. There is a large proportion of residents who are very much in need of care facilities and it is known that it is not always possible to get care packages in place to look after people in their own homes and there is no option but for them to be looked after in suitable accommodation, be it our Local Hospital or a Suitable Home for care and nursing if needed. Aspects of care are very important to the old and vulnerable people. Cuts should not be made in these areas; it is false economy as problems can be sorted before more expensive care is needed to be put in place. Our local M.P. feels very strongly about this. A group of Young Refugees from Calais arrived in the North of the County and there may be a group arriving locally. They will need care and help. Offers of support from a wide section of the community to help with language skills and translation, medical assistance from retired Doctors to name but a few of the necessities that are needed. All kinds of clothes from trainers, jeans, sweat shirts T Shirts, coats, underwear, rucksacks, holdalls and anything which youngsters need and like to have. There will be plenty of gear coming forward as people are always so generous in times of need. It is also understood that there may be a small group arriving in the South of the County at any time soon. Cllr Rowe then advised that with the dark nights now upon us we should be careful to make sure we can be seen when out walking in our local areas after dark, wear something florescent and take a touch with a bright light!! Watch out for Scams, there a plenty of them around. Regarding the District Council Cllr Rowe advised that the local plan should be completed by March 2017. A number of parishes had decided not to have a Neighbourhood plan and Ivybridge has had their plan rejected. Cllr Robinson advised that the District Council had an “Our Day” session where the public were able to see what tasks the District Council carried out on a daily basis. Some keys facts included were that 104 affordable homes had been delivered since April 2016. The population of South Hams was 84,600 and there were 43,483 households. 10,000 residents are members of leisure centres and this year alone 1,200 play park inspections had been carried out. Finally 120 disabled facilities grant allocations had been completed this year.

564

7. Reports from Sub-Committees – Cllr Fenwick reported that there had been no change regarding Paignton Roadand were stillawaiting Cavanna Signature. There had been a number of complaints received regarding transport of stone along Broad Path to the Blue Cedar development site in Coombe Shute. A meeting would take place with the site foreman in early December. The developer of Gabriel Court is responding to residents who raised questions and issues. Submission of the planning application is imminent. Park Green are very keen to get started. Cllr Rawlings advised that he had now received agreement from the Village Hall committee to arrange for the installation of Wi Fi and would contact District Cllr Bastone to arrange funding.  

8Neighbourhood Plan Report – Cllr Fenwick reported that the group is currently analysing feedback to get a clear ‘Mission statement’ and to plan the next step. The next meeting will be during 2nd week in December. Regarding the Joint Local Plan following the consultation that was held during October comments have been used to reshape the assessment framework.  The next stage is to use this framework to complete an accurate assessment of the villages of SouthHams and West Devon. Cllr Fenwick had also discussed with South Hams as to what counts towards our housing numbers. The JLP group are rerunning the housing numbers and projections and since nothing much happens over the Christmas and New Year period the impact will not be known until the New Year. There will a South Devon AONB meeting Friday 2nd December Follaton House.

9. Planning   - Receive considerations given at planning a committee meeting held on 28th November 2016

  1. 3232/16/HHO           - Sunnydene, Hillfield – Re-submission for extension to building to form a two storey modern dwelling with double garage and landscaping 
    Objection. Neighbour impact, poor design and no improvement to character
  2. 2905/16/HHO – Bowhay, Aish – New detached garage and workshop   
    No Objection
  3. 3436/16/VAR -  Stoke Gabriel Football Club – Variation of conditions regarding opening times and functions
    No objection but re write condition 11
  4. 3351/16/FUL – Merrybank, Paignton Road – Single storey dwelling in the garden of an existing house
    No Objection but confirm that it will not be used for permanent occupation
  5. 2074/16/FUL – Stoke Gabriel Church – New drawings for dismantling southern entrance porch and re-building
    No Objection but consider “old fashioned” kitchen design
  6. 2709/16/FUL – Coppice view. Mill Hill – Revised plans for balcony
    No Objection 

Planning Applications Granted by SHDC –  

  1. Land at Coombe House Lane – Agricultural building

Planning Applications Refused by SHDC –  None

Appeals Received by SHDC   -  None

Applications withdrawn –  None

Ongoing Applications – The number of enforcement cases had been reduced to four. The pre application for the new Burial site was ongoing. A letter had been written to the developers regarding the closure of Waddeton Road. It was agreed to continue the services of Plandscape next and enhance the tidying up of the village in general. The damage to Vicarage Road following the gas repairs had been reported to DCC. A question was raised regarding the proposed development along Paignton Road.  District Cllr Rowe that further information was awaited.

10. Items raised on behalf of the Clerk –  Cllr Robinson advised that the agreed dates for next year’s Parish Council meetings had been circulated. An objection to the removal of the Barn Park phone box had been lodged. CCTV cameras had now been erected at the quay and foreshore area, The Dart Harbour Authority had refused to assist with the costs although their members would benefit. A defibrillator had been purchased and was now available for use outside Emma’s bistro. It was agreed to place

11. Hoyle Copse  -  Cllr Jones advised that work has continued in the Copse on Wednesdays with good attendance from volunteers. Lead by Phil Bolt, good progress has been made on steps at steep sections of the footpaths. Brambles are an increasing problem in the wooded areas and work continues to strim them down before the spring flowers appear, mainly in coppiced areas. Cllr Jones has received a donation of £200 from Mr John Wilcox of Rose Meadow to pay for a bench in memory of his wife Helen who recently passed away. With Mr Wilcox agreement the bench will be sited behind the lime kiln overlooking the quarry.

12. Highway and Hedgerow Matters – Cllr Robinson advised that the pavement outside the village shop had now been repaired. Cllr Bridge proposed that a letter be sent to SWH thanking them for the work

565

carried out. Cllr Robinson also advised that additional funding was available through Cllr Rowe’s County Council fund and it was agreed to go ahead with the proposed improvements to the kerbs in Barn Park. Work had no stopped at the old V & A car park until 12th December when work would continue spreading the stone to level the area. The hedge rows along Aish Road had now been cut. It was proposed that two dog poo bins be sited at both ends of Byter Mill Lane and residents asked to empty them on a regular basis. Cllr Bridge advised that she had received reports of forthcoming cold weather and requested that the snowmobile be sited back in her drive. This was agreed. Cllr Avery requested that the signs in Aish Road be attended to as they were facing the wrong way. Cllr Robinson agreed to arrange this.

13Matters raised by Councillors –  Cllr Fenwick advised that the take over of the Parish toilets was on going and the near neighbours had received letters as a consultaion process. Cllr Rowe advised that there was a problem regarding land ownership alongside the toilets and this was being dealt with.

14. Accounts –.  Cllr Robinson advised that the deposit account balance had now been transferred to the main current account. A grant had been received from Devon County Council towards the cost of repairing the village pavement. Having circulated accounts to the Councillors Cllr Robinson discussed the annual expenses for the year 2017/2018. Having agreed to increase the work carried out by Plandscape to improve the appearance of the village centre it was proposed that the precept for 2017/18 be increased by £2,000.00 to £19,000.00. Cllr Robinson advised that a cheque for £200.00 had been received as a donation towards a bench in Hoyle Copse. 

It was proposed by Cllr Avery and seconded by Cllr Hunt to make the following payments:

Payment Value VAT reclaim
John Robinson – November Expenses £250.00  
Stoke Gabriel PCC – School room hire – N. Plan £15.00  
Plandscape – Grass cut, verges, flower beds - September £249.09 £41.52
Plandscape – Grass cut, verges – October £205.12 £34.19
South Devon Construction – War memorial wall repairs £227.00  
South West Highways – Repair to pavement outside shop £2280.95 £380.16
R.J. Jones – Bench £279.80 £46.63
Protech Systems – CCTV         £3528.00 £588.00
P. Bolt – Hoyle Copse £279.41 £44.06

There being no other business the meeting closed at  8.40pm

Date of next Meeting

30th January 2017