Hoyle Copse

May 2017 Minutes

580

The Annual Parish meeting of Stoke Gabriel Parish Council was held on Monday 15th May 2017 in the Village Hall

2 Members of the public were present

Present: Mr R Tully (chairman), Mr P. Fenwick (vice chairman), Mr S. Avery, Miss E Bridge, Mr R. Harris, Mr R. Hunt and Mr J Robinson

In Attendance: District Cllr Rose Rowe  

1. Apologies – Mr I. Jones, Mr H. Rawlings and Cllrs Bastone and Hawkins

2. To elect Chairman and Vice Chair – It was proposed by Cllr Bridge and seconded by Cllr Hunt that Cllr Tully be re-elected as Chairman. This proposal was carried unanimously. It was proposed by Cllr Avery and seconded by Cllr Hunt that Cllr Fenwick be re-elected as Vice Chair. This proposal was carried unanimously. Cllr Tully thanked the Councillors for their support and for the honour of being Chairman for another year.

3Sub committees - Cllr Robinson reminded Cllrs that in order to save time in the main meeting a planning sub committee meets at 6.30pm prior to the full Council meeting to discuss any sundry planning applications. Major applications are not discussed at these meetings and are always included on the agenda of a full Council meeting. Members of the planning subcommittee are expected to be able to attend planning site meetings which are also carried out during the working day to tie in with District planning officers and agents and occasionally meet at times other than Parish Council meetings. It was agreed that as planning subcommittee meetings are open meetings and both members of the public and Cllrs can attend it was decided that as long as there were four or more Cllrs present this would be a full planning subcommittee meeting. Decisions are not made at these meetings but recommendations are made under the relevant agenda item of the full Council meeting when Councillors can request further discussion and vote on a recommendation if they feel it is necessary. Cllr Tully proposed that Cllr Robinson carry out the duties as Chairman of this Committee which was agreed unanimously.

4. Police Report – Cllr Robinson advised that the matters previously discussed were in hand and it was agreed to request that a speed check is made as many vehicles are being driven through the narrows approaching the village at speeds in excess of 40 mile per hour. Cllr Robinson also advised that he had received a report that the Police are appealing for witnesses and information after vehicles were criminally damaged with purple spray paint in Totnes. Unknown offenders damaged the vehicles along Westonfields and Plymouth Road overnight on Saturday 13th – Sunday 14th May. Anyone with information is asked to contact police via 101@dc.police.uk or by calling 101 quoting CR/036911/17 or CR/036956/17.

5To confirm the minutes of the last meeting on 24th April 2017 - Taken as read and signed by the Chairman,

6Matters arising from the Minutes –  None.

7Chairman’s Report – Cllr Tully welcomed everyone to the Annual meeting and thanked all Cllrs for giving up their time in helping to maintain out wonderful Parish and dealing with the monthly concerns and issues. During the last twelve months a large number of changes have been made with special attention to the large expenditure incurred which will benefit the Parish for example the village defibrillator, CCTV cameras at the Mill quay and the hanging baskets. Special thanks to District Cllr Rowe for her financial contribution towards the defibrillator. The Parish Council are responsible for protecting the village and foreshore and both the CCTV cameras and signage to stop on foreshore parking will assist. The Council was most disappointed with the lack of financial support from the local Boating Association who will greatly benefit. The hanging baskets certainly brightened up our village and special thanks must be given to both Cllr Bridge and Roz Holmes for watering and maintaining the baskets.   This brought the Chairman onto the Post Office and the daily paper service which Roz took over when the original Post office closed. Added to this the Old Style George v1new post box which hopefully will encourage as many as possible to use the village stores, Emma’s, the pubs and Mill Pond facilities.  

581

Hoyle Copse is a wonderful Parish asset and we are so grateful to Cllr Ian Jones and his mighty gang of volunteers for maintaining the footpaths and all the wild flower species. Also thanks to all those who took part in the walking of the bounds to ensure that the village footpaths remain open. Plandscape have continued to tidy up the village including the grass verges and the orchard. 

The Neighbourhood Plan as continued over the last year and Cllr Fenwick has worked onerously ploughing through process with the support of Cllr Harris and their team. Cllr Tully expressed disappointment in the lack of support from the Parishioners on which could become such an important document for the future development in the Parish and surrounding area. When one considers the South Hams Housing Policy is for 700 homes across 63 Parishes we have been lumbered with Rowes Meadow, former V & A car park, Gabriel Court and now Paignton Road all of which are new sites. We need the help and support of the C.P.R.E. for the protection of our wonderfully unique Parish and green sites. We must not allow planning applications or illegal homes to be formed and we have a duty to prevent the removal of hedges and the acquisition of land which are criminal offences and cause great concerns to the R.S.P.B. and wildlife protection. On top of this Stoke Gabriel has the problem of White rock phase 2 being rushes through for a further 350-450 new homes which will be right on the border of the South Hams. If this gets the go ahead Waddeton will be changed forever. The South Hams Society are quoted in saying that “its objectives are to stimulate interest and care for the beauty, history and character of villages and to encourage high standards of planning and architecture and to secure the protection and improvement of the landscape and to promote conservation in a living and working environment”     

There are a number of ongoing tasks including acquiring the Parish Toilets, the burial site and repairs to the kerbs. The Chairman thanked Cllrs Hilary Bastone and Jonathon Hawkins for their help and support with many issues including the road sweeper and Wi-Fi in the village hall. There had been a number of events that created interest including the scarecrow event, walking the footpaths and of course the annual carnival. There are also a number of concerns including fly tipping, dog mess and irresponsible owners, illegal parking, telecom phone masts and finding a site for the Devon air ambulance to land.   

Finally the Chairman thanked Cllr Robinson for continuing to act as Clerk and Cllr thus saving the Council additional expenses and allowing this Council to spend money on the continued up keep and general services of the Parish and making the job of Chairman that much easier. Thanks also to Cllr Fenwick who as Vice Chairman supported me and helped me as Chairman. Cllr Robinson thanked the Chairman for his kind words and on behalf of the Council thanked Cllr Tully for agreeing to be re-elected and continue to work for the Parish.

8. Reports from County & District Councillors –  Cllr Row advised that as a result of the recent County Council elections Cllr Jonathon Hawkins would now be our representative. Cllr Hawkins has been our District ward member for the last two years. The District Council held their Annual meeting recently and has a new Chairman. Cllr Kathy Cuthbert from Ivybridge was elected along with Cllr Mike Hicks from Morleigh as Vice Chairman. The membership of the various committees and working groups were confirmed. Cllr Rowe advised that the waste and recycling service was still causing concerns and a proposal has been made that an annual charge of £ 40.00 should be made for collecting garden waste. This Council reacted to this suggestion and raised concerns that even more fly tipping would occur. The budget pressure on the waste collection service is approximately £ 560,000.00 for 2018/19. It was agreed to raise this proposal at the next parish Council meeting in June. Other issues raised by Cllr Rowe were abandoned vehicles, road sweeper, Neighbourhood Plan and disused flower pots. It was agreed to remove the disused or broken flower pots. Cllr Tully thanked Cllr Rowe for her support during her time as our County Council representative.

9. Reports from Sub-Committees - Cllr Fenwick advised an amendedHeritage Statement for the Gabriel Court proposal has been received and the proposed alterations as now advocated to Plot 1 will render a scheme that sits more comfortably than previously proposed. Officers are aware and indeed supportive of the wider public benefits associated with this scheme including securing the long-term future of the former Gabriel Court Hotel, removing the unsightly later 20th century additions to the northern boundary, therefore improving this aspect of the Conservation Area and securing the structural stability of the western bounded stone wall that not only defines the site but also represents a key characteristic of the surrounding conservation Area. As such no objection were raised to the amended scheme. Waiting to sign Section 106.

582     

10Neighbourhood Plan Report  Cllr Fenwick advised that the Steering Group we attended the May fair and focused on green space designation  to which an excellent response was given. On May 13 village hall event to coincide with ‘walking the bounds’ went extremely well with over 60 attendees having a great time and showed considerable interest. Next Steering Group meeting will be held on Thursday June 8th. The Paignton Neighbourhood Plan was currently out for consultation and this would require our support. 

11Planning -  Receive considerations given to the following Planning Applications:

  1. 1115/17/HHO – Oxland House, Aish Road – Single storey extension  No objection
  2. 1096/17/HHO – Townwell, Paignton Road – Two storey rear extension with ground floor lean-to.  No objection
  3. 1532/17/PAT Prior notification Land Opposite Byter Down Kennels – New 20 m Monopole. This Council raised an objection at its last meeting. There was some concern over the fact that another planning application has been submitted under number 1477/17/PRE. This would be looked into by both Cllr Rowe and Cllr Robinson

Planning Applications Granted by SHDC –  

  1. Vine Cottage, Coombe Shute – Ground floor extension
  2. Dominoes, Byter Mill Lane – Warm roof system and ground floor windows

Planning Applications Refused by SHDC -

  1. 0011/16/OPA – Land at Four Cross – 9 Dwellings

Appeals Received by SHDC - None

Applications withdrawn – None

Ongoing Applications –  Cllr Robinson advised that there were now seven outstanding enforcement cases. Cllr Robinson again raised concerns about the lack of communication and co-operation with SHDC planning department especially over the problems at Andrews Park, Rowes Meadow. Cllr Rowe agreed to contact the senior planning officer to find why there was such a long delay. Cllr Robinson advised that he had obtained agreement from South Hams street naming team for the following street names for the proposed Cavanna development – “Kate’s Meadow”, “Higher Well Road”, “Elm Tree Drive”, “Samuel’s Close”, “Kings Drive”, and “The Ridings”. These names were directly connected to the previous owners of the land.   

12. Items raised on behalf of the Clerk – Cllr Robinson advised that the legal documents regarding the toilets had been submitted to the solicitors duly signed. As time was pressing it was agreed to accept the quotation for repairs to the toilet block receive from Sophie Q. These included hand soap dispensers, paper towel dispensers and minor general repairs. It was also agreed to accept the quotation received for a one off deep clean to include all tiles, walls, sinks toilets and floors. The ongoing contract for regular cleaning would be option two cleaning twice each week and checking every other day. Initially this would be a twelve month contract. The reported problems with noise from the River Shack café were discussed and Cllr Robinson had looked into issues with the South Hams Licensing officer who advised that the license had been superseded by the Live Music Act 2012I which allows the provision of live and recorded amplified music in the following circumstances: At premises licensed for the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises between the hours of 8am and 11pm where the audience is no more than 500 people. A premise consists of the area designated on the licensed plan, including outside areas. Cllr Robinson advised that he had met with the licensee and explained that it was their responsibility when arranging live music to remember that Stoke Gabriel is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, sound does travel especially from the Mill area and it is your responsibility to ensure that it should not be to the detriment of the tranquillity of the village’s lovely riverside setting. A request had been made to the Council to purchase some new bunting. Approximately 600 metres was required which would cost £ 300.00. It was agreed to offer to have the invoice addressed to the Council to be able to claim back the VAT and also to retain ownership of the bunting. This suggestion would be put forward. Having previously met with the new Harbour Master Cllr Robinson had hoped he would be able to attend this meeting but had to pull out at the last minute due to another engagement. The alterations to the pontoon access in hand and the harbour Master agreed to arrange to attend a meeting in the near future. Cllr Robinson advised that the future of the Totnes Leisure Centre was safe as funding had been obtained and Fusion would be the operator.

583

13. Hoyle Copse  Due to Cllr. Jones’s absence no report was available.  

14. Highway and Hedgerow Matters – Cllr Bridge advised that the gate and sign on the Heritage walk had been damaged. AS the property is about to be sold it was agreed to put this on hold and meet with the new owners and discuss the future of this path. Cllr Hunt advised that damage to Coombe House lane at the Aish Road end continued and it was agreed to contact Devon Highways. Cllr Fenwick confirmed that all the Parish footpaths have been walked on May 13th and all were in good order.   He also advised that there was a large pothole at the end of Church Walk. As this was on the Devon Highway they would be advised. Cllr Robinson advised that there were travellers occupying the area opposite to Churston Green in the car park. At the recent Development Committee meeting it was agreed by all officers and Councillors that the land in Paignton Road known as the former nursery should be tidied up and returned to rural land. District Cllr Row agreed to look into this and suggested that an enforcement notice should be submitted. Cllr Robinson agreed to check the minutes of the meeting to confirm that this was minuted.

15. Matters raised by Councillors – Cllr Bridge advised the meeting that the owners of the River Dart Gallery had agreed to assist the production of a Parish map. Cllr Avery asked if consideration could be given to resurrecting the annual River Dart boat trip. It was suggested that it ceased due to expense but it was agreed that Cllr Robinson have a look at costs and report back. Cllr Harris reported that the Aish Road notice had been damaged. As in future planning application papers would not be in hard copy form it was agreed to look at the possibility of purchasing a lap top computer so images could be shown on the large screen when discussions over planning matters dictated this.  

16. Accounts - It was agreed that Cllrs Tully and Robinson could sign the annual audit form and submit it to the External auditors. Thanks were given to Ian Potham who had kindly carried out an internal audit of the Council accounts. It was noted that since 1st April 2017 £ 472.17 has been paid on behalf of the Neighbourhood Plan.

It was proposed by Cllr Avery Bridge and seconded by Cllr Hunt to make the following payments

Payment Value VAT reclaim
John Robinson – May Expenses £250.00  
Lacey Hickie & Caley Ltd – N.Plan consultation panels  £60.00  
Plandscape – Verges and orchard cut April 2017 £205.12 £34.19
A C Print – N.Plan feed back leaflets £169.00  
Came & Company – Annual Council insurance £705.36  
Stoke Gabriel PCC – N.Plan table at May Fair £10.00  
P. Fenwick – Walking the bounds expenses £22.33  

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.10pm        

Date of next Meeting: 

The next meeting will be held on Monday 26th June 2017